On the Encoding Method page I have replaced what was there with the first example of encoding and decoding.
This is Aldebaran, the label by the large star in the upper left pie slice of f68r3. Both encoding and decoding use the same letter table, with encoding taking place horizontally, and decoding vertically.
At the moment I have six other labels from f68r3 that encode and decode the same way.
There are still problems, such as there is no way of distinguishing which of the three letter value sets is used for a particular label other than trial and error. Also the problem of converting from Voynich letters to English letters. But I’m working on them.
Thoughts and comments requested.
I have added as a separate page above the encoding/decoding method of the VMs.
A number of people expressed difficulty understanding it, so I have laid it out in as simple and direct a fashion as I can.
Noting continued difficulty, I have modified both pages to add information that will hopefully be useful in understanding.
I realized I used an older version of the method, so updated the page and added a file showing the encoding and decoding of the word THE in the text of f68r1.
Comments and questions welcome.
I wrote this using my “workaround” method, which lays out the text and lets the researcher change letter values at will to look for sensible text. It does not require the usage of the encoding/decoding method.
The letter values are “Set 4”, used in the paragraph text. Sets 1 – 3 are used in the labels.
Here is the text in the workaround format:
I would be very interested in hearing what others think. Thank you.
I have added letter frequencies as a new second row, plus an explanation for each row.
This table conforms to the rules discovered by others. I think the new data is telling; note the pattern created with the letter arrangement. It is a clue to the letter values and the arrangement of the plaintext letters.
I thought it would be informative to count the number of times a letter was used for a particular value, and here are the results for the 31 labels that use Set 1:
The other day I discovered a mistake that prevented the smooth encoding of labels from the Astro section– I had transposed two letters in the Latin letter frequency arrangement. Once that was fixed in the encoding rectangles, many of the problems disappeared.
There are three sets of letter values as reported by other researchers, and three encoding rectangles. Not all of the values have been determined.
I have uploaded the modified method file to the MediaFire folder (link to the side).
Of the 22 encoded labels presented, only five have a misplaced letter error, for a success rate of ~80%.
As I said below, the letter substitutions are from Philip Neal’s work. Here they are arranged in the same format as the Letter Values table, and color-coded to show which Voynich letters can substitute for others.