On the Encoding Method page I have replaced what was there with the first example of encoding and decoding.
This is Aldebaran, the label by the large star in the upper left pie slice of f68r3. Both encoding and decoding use the same letter table, with encoding taking place horizontally, and decoding vertically.
At the moment I have six other labels from f68r3 that encode and decode the same way.
There are still problems, such as there is no way of distinguishing which of the three letter value sets is used for a particular label other than trial and error. Also the problem of converting from Voynich letters to English letters. But I’m working on them.
Thoughts and comments requested.
I wrote this using my “workaround” method, which lays out the text and lets the researcher change letter values at will to look for sensible text. It does not require the usage of the encoding/decoding method.
The letter values are “Set 4”, used in the paragraph text. Sets 1 – 3 are used in the labels.
Here is the text in the workaround format:
I would be very interested in hearing what others think. Thank you.
I have added letter frequencies as a new second row, plus an explanation for each row.
This table conforms to the rules discovered by others. I think the new data is telling; note the pattern created with the letter arrangement. It is a clue to the letter values and the arrangement of the plaintext letters.
Here is a very simplified version of my VMs encoding method that gives all of the essentials of how it works. A PDF version has been added to the MediaFire folder.
The plaintext word in this example is “and”.
1. The word’s letters are moved vertically to a position directed by the letter table.
2. The letters are moved to the right and reassembled vertically in the new order.
3. The word is returned to the horizontal.
4. The plaintext letters are replaced with Voynich letters.
The method is simple, elegant, and will decode as well as encode.
For some reason the text editor will not keep the formatting visible in the edit field, so I have replaced it with a jpg. Refer to the PDF for the entire entry.
Scroll down to the 14 April 2013 post to see the method using the actual letter table and a label.
Thanks to Rich SantaColoma’s recent release of a pre-chemical photo of folio f1r, I’ve been able to add a bit more to the letter column file. This seems to be about it as far as what is visible.
The letters for A and S match my Set 1 values for the labels.
New to the MediaFire folder (link to the right, under VMS Research Links) are four Voynich fonts: Frogguy, Currier, EVA, and Voy-101. It seems difficult to find them online, so I’m making them available here.
Personally I use the Voy-101 font and transcription for research, but for presentation use EVA because it looks better.
Here is the label encoding method in a more graphic form, using Aldebaran as the example.
The encoding starts with A in the red section, then moves left to right, finding L and D, then to the bottom row to find E, and continues left to right.
The grayed-out R and A were encoded, then later removed. If that was not the case, the N would be in the green section.